Sunday, November 29, 2015

Advent blog: What if Mary Said No

Several years ago during a sermon whoever was preaching was talking about how fortunate we were that Mary said yes...yes to God, yes to being the mother of Emmanuel (God with us).  Part was about the presumption that Mary had the choice.  Part was about the audacity of Mary to question and ask "how can this be?"

My thoughts went to "what if Mary said no?"  Forget concepts like Mary being selected since her conception to be the mother of Jesus for a minute.  Assume Mary really could have said no.  What would that mean for us?  How would the story change?  Would we still have Christ?

I often ask heretical questions.  But contrary to leading me away from my faith, I end up affirmed.  

It is more important to me that God created space for Mary to ask questions and potentially say no than for her to have jumped in too easily.  She was young.  Women had little access to shelter, food, clothes, or money without their father or a husband.  Joseph would have the right to abandon her if he didn't trust in God's plan.  She really stood to lose if something didn't go right.  But she made the leap of faith and became the mother of God.

May I trust in a plan and that I will be safe by following in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.