When I thought of the topic for this blog it was going to be about non-profits and whether or not we can really make a difference...but then yesterday happened.
The shootings in San Bernardino happened. I haven't seen much outside the AP new push and my Twitter feed and Facebook wall. What I do know is that 14 more people lost their lives in yet another mass shooting. I have kept pretty quiet about the whole gun debate because there is disagreement in my own household. I am very opposed to guns (I have come around slightly on hunting weapons - but not high powered ones). Yes, it is people who kill people - but guns make it easier and provide for killing more people in a quicker scenario. And we have had a large number of children accidentally killing others with guns because of poor parental gun owner responsibility. There have been a lot of mass shootings and they get a lot of media attention, but on the other hand there are a lot of 1-2 person shootings in Indianapolis alone nearly every day. In a month we have lost the same number of people, sometimes in just a few days. I am not sure how far righteous indignation will get us when there are so many people living in fear that they become part of the problem. Tougher laws may help, but these people are breaking other laws so I am pretty sure they will still access guns. We can talk about how other countries have tougher gun laws and less violence, but it is hard to compare America's culture to others around the world. We tend toward individual freedom over societal good and are more intense in protecting our stuff, families, homes, and ideals. I don't know the answer.
Last night my friend Pete was riding his bike home from work in downtown Indy. He lives on the north side. He rides to his job at the State Department of Health frequently and is an experienced cyclist. He has all the equipment and skills to ride safely in the weather and dark we had last night. His road riding skills are impeccable. He was hit by a truck turning who did not look for cyclists who had the right of way. Pete has 9 broken ribs, a broken clavicle, and a punctured lung. Pete is not a hipster making a point, he is not a person who has no choice but to ride (he has a car), he chooses to bike commute for the joy and health of it. Now he is in the hospital in considerable pain because a driver didn't check before turning. Other friends have been hit by cars while riding this year and runners have been hit as well. I was nearly hit while running because a driver turning was only looking for the traffic he was turning into, not checking the sidewalk for pedestrians. We must do a better job of being aware while driving. Protected infrastructure helps, but there are areas where bikes, pedestrians, and cars will always have an opportunity for "conflict." I appreciate the efforts of IndyCOG and others locally and nationally to raise awareness, but sometimes I feel like our efforts end up "preaching to the choir" or just not reaching those who need the message most. Sharing a message people don't want to hear in a positive manner is really difficult.
Which brings me back to where I was originally going...how are those of us trying to make a difference (though non-profits or on our own) really able to make a difference? Is it best to invest a lot of time, money, and energy on one topic, person, or place or to invest a little in a lot of places? What has the most impact depends on how we are measuring impact. Does pushing out awareness information really get anything done? How do we decide how and where to invest the resources entrusted to us?
I want to make the world (or at least a small part of it) a better place. Sometimes I think I am doing well at doing good. Then I am not sure if what I do matters at all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.